Saturday 2 March 2019

Garden Update

Hello.  It’s Saturday afternoon and I’m sitting inside hiding from this relentless heat.   I actually just watched an episode of garden gurus and that has inspired me to write this blurb.

 I don’t know about anyone else but I am over the hot dry conditions.  I’m probably not alone in saying that my garden has suffered and as a result I have reduced my veggie patch down to long-term crops only to save water. 

 Our March workshop is very relevant considering our climate change.   Dave crook is the local Gardner who will demonstrate how to build a wicking bed from a half wine barrel.   This has several positives for gardeners, one being the obvious water saving and another being the extension of life of the pot its self as wine barrels tend to rot away fairly quickly.    Wine barrels are quite roomy and would be very suitable to crops of greens and trellises of snow peas for example. Our workshops are held on the third Saturday of each month.  That will be 16 March.

 As I move about in the community people often comment to me about our community garden.  This morning some locals were very pleased to tell me that in their opinion the garden looks lovely at the moment.   Our Saturday morning short get-togethers have achieved a lot considering the small amount of effort we put in.  We have mainly been keeping the beds watered with the help of dripper hoses and just removing some spent vegetables and a few weeds.  As usual we enjoy a chat and always learn something about what’s going on in Gardens at the moment.  We are also very fortunate to have the help of the Shire with a weekly trip on the ride on mower.  The boys from Beechworth prison have made a valuable contribution by visiting and running along the creek edge and up our native bank with their brush cutters.  These are the jobs that our small group of volunteers would not manage to do regularly so we are very grateful for this help.

Cheers to all and let’s hope for some useful rain soon.

Lee-Anne




1 comment:

  1. This article is one of the best in the history of articles. I'm a 'Article' collector and I sometimes read them interesting 먹튀검증업체

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...